Home > Finances > Additional Satisfactory Academic Progress info

Additional SAP information

Explore the items below for more information on Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

After the deadline for posting final grades at the end of each fall, spring, and summer semester, the University will review the academic standing of each student registered for that semester who is degree seeking and/or receiving financial aid.

Students who are placed on academic warning or suspension are notified via email from the Financial Aid Office.  The email is sent to the students university assigned email address.

You will be placed on financial aid SAP warning for one term if you fail to meet the required GPA and/or overall cumulative completed credits percentage standards. While on warning, you may still receive financial aid.

To be removed from financial aid warning status, you must attain the required cumulative GPA and/or cumulative completed credits percentage standards by the end of your warning period. You will be suspended at the end of your warning period if you fail to attain the required standards.

Once your record shows you have attempted more than 125% of your degree credit requirements you will receive a timeframe reminder in your University email account. This is meant to inform you that you are approaching your maximum timeframe. You are still eligible for aid, but you may want to plan your coursework to ensure you complete your degree within the maximum timeframe. If you exceed the timeframe before you have finished your studies, you will not be eligible for financial aid.

If you do not attain the required 2.0 cumulative GPA and/or cumulative 67% completed credits percentage during your warning period, or if you exceed your maximum time frame of 150% of the published degree credits required to complete your program, you will be placed on financial aid suspension.
While on suspension you are not eligible for most financial aid programs. Exceptions include some private loan programs. You must check with private lenders to determine if they offer loans to students not meeting SAP requirements.
You may attend the University at your own expense until you attain the cumulative GPA and cumulative completed credits percentage requirement. To regain financial aid eligibility, your record must reflect that you have met these requirements. If you failed to meet these standards due to unusual circumstances, you have the right to appeal your SAP suspension status.

If you have been suspended from the University, you are no longer eligible for any financial aid. Once you have been readmitted, your financial aid status and eligibility will be determined based on financial aid SAP standards through a review of your academic record.

You will be placed on financial aid satisfactory progress probation if a SAP appeal is approved. You are eligible for financial aid while on probation. Failure to attain the required GPA and/or cumulative completed credits percentage will mean that you are no longer eligible for financial aid. If you do not attain required GPA and/or cumulative completed credits percentage, but you do successfully follow the academic plan submitted with your SAP appeal, you may submit a follow-up appeal showing you have met the terms of your academic plan.

When determining if you are meeting SAP standards, your grades and credits are tallied according to these guidelines:

  • Attempted credits include grades of A, B, C, D, F, K, I, N, NG, NR, P, Q, R, S, T, U, W, X, and blank.
  • Earned (completed) credits include grades of A, B, C, D, K, NG, P, Q, R, S, T, and X.
  • W’s & I’s will not affect your GPA, but they do impact your credit completion ratio and will count towards maximum attempted credits
  • Incomplete grade changes will not be re-calculated after SAP has been evaluated for the current term and will be included in the next evaluated term.
  • If you repeat a course, credits will be added to your attempted/earned credit totals each time you register. However, only the most recent grade received in the course will be used in the calculation of your cumulative GPA.
  • Remedial and English as Second Language (ESL) credit equivalences are included in the calculation of both attempted and earned hours and in determining if you meet SAP GPA requirements.
  • Transfer and consortium credits accepted by the University of Minnesota, will be included when calculating your cumulative completed credits percentage and maximum attempted credits, but not your GPA. This includes credits earned from institutions including non-University of Minnesota study abroad programs. Credits are included in both attempted and earned credits.
  • Extended term distance education courses are considered attempted, but not earned until a grade is submitted.
  • Audit (V) credits are not considered either attempted or earned.
  • Undergraduate credits taken while you are a graduate student earn graduate credit and are included in your cumulative completed credits percentage, cumulative GPA, and maximum attempted credits totals.
  • Federal regulations require the University to include the original grade and number of credits for any class you retroactively withdrew from when calculating your SAP status. If you have retroactively withdrawn from one or more courses, the GPA used to determine if you are meeting SAP standards may differ from your official University GPA.

Academic standing is not the same as Satisfactory Academic Progress. Your academic standing is determined by your college. Academic Standing will not be included on transcripts or in degree audits. It is possible that a student can be suspended from financial aid but remain in accepted academic status.

The University of Minnesota Crookston requires all students to maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA, which is at least a “C” average at the end of each term, which is consistent with graduation requirements.

To access your Academic Standing, go to the Student Center in MyU. In the "Academics" section of your Student Center, select “Grades" from the drop-down menu, then click the double arrows. Select a term and click on "Term Statistics" to expand the information. Scroll down; your Academic Standing appears beneath your GPA and will display as one of the following:

  • Good Standing
  • Probation
  • Dismissal
  • PRAD, or Probation After Dismissal or Suspension

You may request an extension of the maximum attempted credits provision of this policy if you are

  • enrolled in dual degree program,
  • seeking a second undergraduate or graduate degree,
  • changing majors,
  • or if you are a graduate student enrolled in a joint master's and doctoral program.

Requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

If you change majors, the credits you earn under all majors will be included in your GPA calculation as well as your maximum attempted credits and the calculation of credits you have attempted and earned.

All credits attempted and earned at a University of Minnesota system campus will be included when calculating your maximum attempted credits, GPA, and cumulative completed credits percentage.

If you take undergraduate courses while you are a graduate student, credits you earn will be included in your GPA, cumulative completed credits percentage, and maximum attempted credits.


If you are required to withdraw for military reasons, your cumulative completed credits percentage and maximum attempted credits requirements will be waived for the semester of your official withdrawal.

Credits earned as a Post Secondary Enrollment Option (PSEO) or College in the schools (CIS) student at the University will be included in your cumulative completed credits percentage, GPA, and the maximum attempted credits calculation. PSEO and CIS credits earned at another postsecondary institution will be treated as transfer credits.

Related Resources

Important Dates