Switch UMN campuses

Follow the instructions on this page to change your home campus from one UMN campus to another.

If you are considering taking a class at another campus while maintaining enrollment on your home campus, visit register at multiple UMN campuses.

Submit transfer application

  1. Meet with your current academic advisor to discuss your plan.
  2. Understand transfer requirements and application deadlines for the program you want to transfer to. Some Twin Cities colleges and programs have specific transfer requirements.
  3. Complete a transfer application

If you wish to withdraw your application at any time, you must notify the UMC Admissions Office (170 Owen Hall) or you will not be able to continue your studies at UMC.

Complete transfer process

Although the University of Minnesota is connected across all five of its campuses, some campuses have their own systems for records, billing and financial aid, information technology, and registration. Use the following list as a guide to help make the transition to your new home campus as smooth as possible.

Do these items after you have completed your transfer application.

  1. For future terms, drop your classes in MyU. This prevents you from receiving “F” grades. We recommend you keep a copy of the dropped classes for your records.
  2. Complete transfer orientation or advising instructions from your new college to avoid delay in your ability to register for classes on your new home campus. The orientation process for new students varies by college so it is important that you carefully review the information you receive from your new student services or advising office. If you have not received any instructions, connect with them to be sure you know how to complete any orientation requirements.
  3. Talk with an advisor about out how to be eligible for financial aid at your new home campus. If you received financial aid on your previous campus, you may need to complete exit counseling.
  4. Complete exit counseling through your previous home campus. It may take several weeks after canceling classes for you to be auto-enrolled in exit counseling. Check your University email regularly. If necessary, a hold will be placed on your student account until you complete exit counseling. Holds may prevent you from registering at your new campus and/or access to transcripts.
  5. Send official, sealed transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended (other than the U of M) to your new campus.
  6. Send copies of any test scores for which you received college credit, such as AP, IB, or CLEP to your new campus.
  7. Request to transfer your U of M internet account to make sure that you have access to email and other resources after you transfer.
  8. Update your contact information in MyU. Official communications will continue to be sent to your University of Minnesota email account. International students: Do not change your current mailing address to an address outside the United States.
  9. Get a new U Card at your new campus.
  10. Return any books, equipment, or materials on loan from your current campus to avoid late fees and/or replacement costs. Failure to return materials or equipment may also result in an hold on your record.

Additional considerations


Whether you live on or off campus, be sure to update the Housing and Residential Life office or your landlord as needed. The University offers resources to help you find housing on or near your new home campus.

Health benefits

If you are covered by the University’s health plan, contact the Office of Student Health Benefits to determine whether your health coverage information and benefits follow you to your new home campus.


Notify veterans services of your transfer to ensure that any benefits you receive follow you to your new home campus.


Contact ISSS to inform them that you are transferring campuses and update your SEVIS information.


If you are a current or former student athlete, you may need to obtain approval from the Department of Athletics of your temporary or permanent leave of the University.