Apply for education benefits


To use your education benefits such as the GI Bill® at UMN, you must be accepted into a degree program and be registered for classes. Information about credit requirements for veteran benefits is available.

To learn what education benefits you may qualify for as a military veteran, service member, or dependent, please refer to eligibility information from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA).

Apply for benefits with the VA

Complete the application for education benefits through the VA. We recommend that you complete the online version of the application because it is processed the fastest.

Once your VA application has been processed, you'll receive documentation verifying your eligibility and benefits. This may include a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and/or other types of documents that the University requires in order to certify you for benefits.


For questions, please contact University Veteran Services.

“GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at