VA debt

If you make enrollment changes after you have been certified for the term, this will cause a debt with the U.S Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) regardless of what benefit you are using. To make sure you receive your full benefit and do not receive a debt, please review the requirements for full-time status. You can only be certified for credits that are required for your specific program. You can contact us if you have any questions about your potential or current debts.

Expand all

For Chapter 33 students

Since the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® pays tuition and fees directly to the school, you are likely to incur a debt if you drop a class after you have been certified. The VA will seek tuition and fees paid for the class(es) you withdrew from. Sometimes a debt incurred will be collected by the school, while other times the debt will be collected by the Debt Management Center. Depending on your level of enrollment the VA may also seek repayment for your Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and book stipend.

Drop below full-time status:

Regardless of the number of credits you are taking in a semester, if you drop below full-time status at any point in the term you will be required to repay some or all of your MHA.

Reduced or waived fees:

If your fees are reduced or waived after we have billed the VA, a debt will be created for that fee. For example, if you have the student health benefit plan fee waived after we have reported your tuition and fees, the VA will seek reimbursement for that fee.

For all other GI Bill® students

If you drop below the enrollment level initially reported to the VA, you will incur a debt with the VA. The VA will contact you directly with information about how much you owe them and how to repay that debt. We recommend paying this debt as quickly as possible or making other arrangements with the Debt Management Center to insure that your future benefits are not impacted. 

Have mitigating circumstances?

If a you drop a course or withdraw from school after the University’s drop period and then receive a non-punitive grade, the VA will reduce benefits effective the first day of that term unless mitigating circumstances are found. Mitigating circumstances are circumstances beyond your control that prevent you from continuing your education or that cause you to reduce the number of credit load. Contact the VA directly if you wish to file a mitigating circumstances appeal.

Contact the VA Debt Management Center:

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Debt Management Center
P.O. Box 11930
St. Paul, MN 55111
Phone: 1-800-827-0648
Email: [email protected]

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at