Study abroad and off-campus learning

Most types of financial aid may be used for study abroad or off-campus learning opportunities, including grants, scholarships, and student loans. However, National Scholarship and reciprocity waivers do not apply to study abroad programs. Veteran benefits may be used for study abroad.

Visit the Learning Abroad website for more information on financial aid when studying abroad. 

Veteran benefits for study abroad

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has set limitations on the use of veteran education benefits for the payment of study abroad programs. The VA will only cover tuition on University of Minnesota faculty-led programs or via direct enrollment at a VA-approved university that is listed under the VA WEAMS database of approved institutions. Veteran education benefits cannot pay any fees related to a study abroad program offered by a third-party/study abroad program providers/companies. Additionally, veteran education benefits cannot be used to pay study abroad related fees (program fees) unless study abroad is a required part of your degree.

In order for a study abroad program to be eligible for benefit payment, these conditions must be met:

  • Study abroad programs must be approved for payment by the VA (UMN Faculty-led program or at a University listed on the VA WEAMS database).
  • Students must be enrolled in courses that will apply to their degree program.
  • The courses at the "host" school in the foreign country must be approved and apply towards degree.
  • VA cannot pay any fees specific to studying abroad (study abroad program fees) unless the student is required to study abroad as part of their degree.

If you are a veteran or a dependent of a veteran and are interested in using your funding for a study abroad program, please contact University Veterans Services to confirm that your program of interest is qualified for veteran education benefit payment.