There are several reasons why you might choose to withdraw from the University. You may plan to:

  • Transfer to another institution.
  • Leave the University without a definite plan to return.
  • Take a break in your studies, but a leave of absence (LOA) does not apply to you.

Steps to withdraw

Use the following list as a guide to help you through the withdrawal process. Note that not all items may apply to your situation. 

  1. Before you withdraw or drop your classes, speak with your advisor.
    Your advisor can help determine what options are available to you in your situation. Withdrawing may not be your only choice. For example, you may be eligible to apply for a leave of absence (LOA) if you plan to return to the University. It is important to note the impact of withdrawal on your student status. The University expects that students maintain continuous enrollment each fall and spring semester. This is called “active status.” If you withdraw, or do not enroll in classes for a semester, you go on “inactive status.” Once you become inactive, you must seek readmission to the University if you wish to return.
  2. If you are withdrawing immediately, cancel your enrollment.
    You must manually cancel or drop your classes in MyU, whether for current or future terms. This prevents you from receiving “F” grades. Depending on when you cancel your enrollment, you may be responsible for all or part of the tuition and fees (check the registration and billing dates). Print out a confirmation of the cancellation to keep for your records.
  3. Check on your financial aid.
    Withdrawing from the University may have implications on future financial aid eligibility and student loan repayment. You may be required to pay back your financial aid, including scholarships, grants, or loans. We strongly encourage you to investigate these impacts prior to withdrawing.
  4. Complete exit counseling.
    If you received financial aid and will not be attending at least half-time, you must complete exit counseling. It may take several weeks after canceling classes for you to be auto-enrolled in exit counseling; check your University email regularly for prompts to complete the process. A hold will be placed on your student account until you complete exit counseling.
  5. Pay any remaining charges on your student account.
    You will not be able register at the University in the future, or request an official transcript, if any unpaid, past-due charges remain on your account (tuition, fees, etc.). If your account is past due, it may be referred to a collection agency and/or result in legal action.
  6. Return any materials on loan from the University.
    Library books, lab equipment, keys, parking permits, keycards, and any other University materials must be returned promptly to avoid late fees and/or replacement costs.
  7. Update your contact information and keep your email account active if you plan to return.
    Keep your address and phone number up to date with the University. Official communications will continue to be sent to your University of Minnesota email account. In order to keep your email account active, you must log in to your University email at least every 90 days. Your email address will continue to be the official means of communication from the University.
  8. If you are eligible for a tuition refund, submit a Tuition Refund Appeal.
    If you are leaving the University for extenuating circumstances (e.g. medical or US military reasons), you may be entitled to a partial or, in rare cases, a full tuition refund. Refer to the Retroactive Course Cancellation and Tuition Refund Appeal form. Be aware that you must provide third party documentation supporting your appeal. If you are leaving for US military reasons, refer to the Active Military Duty Cancellation policy.
  9. Consider your housing contract or lease.
    Whether you live on or off campus, update the Housing and Residential Life office or your landlord to discuss your options. There may be financial penalties for canceling your housing contract or lease.
  10. Consider the consequences of withdrawal on your University health benefits.
    You may no longer be covered by a University-sponsored health plan once you withdraw from the University. If you are covered by the University’s health plan, contact the Office of Student Health Benefits to determine your status. If you are covered under a private plan and are no longer a student, contact the private health plan carrier to discuss implications.
  11. Notify University Veterans Services of your plans to withdraw.
    If you received benefits as a US veteran, service member, or family member of a US veteran, you must notify University Veterans Services of your leave or withdrawal. If you are leaving for US military reasons, please refer to the Active Military Duty Cancellation policy
  12. Notify the Department of Athletics of your plans to withdraw.
    If you are a current or former student athlete, you may need to obtain approval from the Department of Athletics of your temporary or permanent leave of the University.
  13. If you are transferring to another institution, send official transcripts to your new school.
    If you are transferring to a Minnesota State college or University and have completed your liberal education requirements (core, theme, and first-year writing), you may have your transcript certified to reflect that you have completed the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC). Contact One Stop Student Services to request that the notation be added to your transcript. After the notation is added to your transcript, you must request that an official copy of your transcript be sent to your destination school. New institutions will typically require an official transcript. Once you are certain that all grades have posted to your transcript, order an official transcript.