Home > Veterans > Full-time status

Full-time status

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) defines full-time status differently than the University of Minnesota. The University determines your enrollment status based on how many credits you take each semester. However, your VA benefits will vary based on your program, the number of credits you take, and the start and end dates of your classes. The VA looks at how many credits you are enrolled in on a given day rather than how many credits you take over the course of a semester. 

GI Bill® requirements for student status

To receive the maximum benefit, you must be registered full time. The chart below can help you determine if you are full-, part-, or half-time.

Full time3/4 timeHalf timeLess than half time

Example: If you are an undergraduate student enrolled in 10 credits that run the full term and a 3 credit first-half class, you will be eligible for the full tuition payment and Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for the first half of the term. During the second half of the term your BAH will be paid at ¾ of the full-time rate.

Less than half-time enrollment

If you enroll less than half-time, your education benefit rates will be reduced proportionately and paid as a lump sum. You would receive reimbursement of the actual charges for tuition and fees or the established maximum, whichever is less. Call the VA education helpline, after you have been certified with the school, to see what your exact payment will be in this circumstance. The VA’s number is 1-888-442-4551.

Additional Chapter 33 requirements for student status

Half-time enrollment

If you are registered for at least one credit more than the minimum credits to be considered half-time, you will receive prorated monthly payments (e.g., 7-11 undergraduate or 4-5 graduate credits). Your monthly checks will be based on the prorated monthly rate of payment. For Chapter 33, your tuition payments will remain at your level of eligibility.

Less than half-time enrollment

If you are enrolled half-time or less you will not be eligible to receive the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH).

Distance Learning

If you are enrolled only in distance learning courses, you will receive half of the national average for the BAH. Students must be taking at least one in person course to receive the full BAH amounts.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Important Dates


Mon, Aug 27, 2018 100% Refund Deadline
Tue, Sep 4, 2018 Last day to receive a 75% tuition refund for canceling full semester classes
Tue, Sep 4, 2018 Last day to drop without a W