Incomplete "I" grade
An incomplete “I” grade can be assigned at the discretion of your instructor. According to University policy, incompletes may be assigned when extraordinary circumstances prevent you from completing your coursework on time. More information about when an incomplete grade is and is not allowed is below.
Incompletes appear on your transcript as the letter “I.”
Incompletes require a contract with your instructor
If you and your instructor have discussed and agreed to an incomplete grade, you are required to complete an incomplete contract. An electronic Incomplete Grade Contract is available online for you to use.
On the contract you will establish what work remains in order for you to finish the course, and a timeline and deadline for you to complete the work. The final deadline must be within one year from the last day of final exams of the term you received the incomplete grade. Depending on your extenuating circumstances, you may be required to provide documentation.
Instructor and student responsibilities
You are responsible to complete the unfinished work by the established deadline. Your instructor is responsible for submitting your grade within four weeks of the date the work is completed.
If you did not complete the work or no grade is assigned one year from the last day of final exams of the term you received the “I,” it will lapse to an “F” or “N” consistent with the grade base of registration for the course.
Circumstances when an incomplete is appropriate
- You have an extraordinary circumstance (i.e. extended illness, serious accident, family emergency) as determined by your instructor that justifies extending the deadline of the class.
- You have already completed a substantial portion of the coursework with a passing grade.
- You can complete the unfinished class work within a decided-upon time frame that is within one year from the end of the term in which you received the incomplete grade.
Circumstances when an incomplete is not allowed
- You are required to re-take or attend the whole course in order to resolve the incomplete grade. (You are not allowed to sit in a class without being registered.)
- You need to repeat the course. (You must not re-register for a course in order to complete an incomplete grade.)
- You cannot make up the work on your own without attending the class a second time.
For additional reference, see the University’s Grading and Transcripts policy.
|Mon, Feb 25, 2019||Mid-term alerts end|
|Tue, Mar 5, 2019||Last day to cancel a class|
|Mon, Mar 18, 2019||Spring break (no classes)|