Home > Academics > Registration guidelines

Registration guidelines

Course prerequisites and registration holds

In order to enroll in some courses, you must either complete or concurrently register for certain other courses, possess particular qualifications, or have the appropriate class standing. These requirements are known as course prerequisites. To see the prerequisites, you must select the class number or the course section and view the course description in MyU’s Class Search.

In addition to prerequisites, you will not be allowed to register for classes if you have a registration hold placed on your account. You can see information about holds, including how to resolve them, in MyU.

First day of class attendance policy

You must attend the first class meeting of every course in which you are registered unless you obtain approval for your intended absence before the first meeting. Without this prior approval you may lose your place in class to another student. If the first day falls during a recognized religious holiday, it does not require instructor approval, but the instructor must be notified in advance.

Repeating a course

Current University Policy (section E.4) states that students may repeat a course only one time (excluding course withdrawals). The registration system will not allow students to enroll in a course for a third time. If you were considering taking a course for a third time, consult with your success coach or academic advisor to explore other options. You may be eligible to submit a Student Petition for Requesting to Enroll in a Course a Third Time form. Review the guidelines for submitting the petition


Procedures for adding or canceling are different if you use web self-registration than if you are required to register in-person. Please refer to the current class schedule to determine the appropriate requirements and deadlines.

Understanding "W's"

During the fall and spring semesters, if you cancel a course during the first two weeks of classes, the record of your registration for that course will never appear on your transcript. (If you cancel all courses before the end of the second week, your transcript will carry a "canceled" notation.) If you withdraw from a course after the second week of the term, the course remains on your transcript with a grade of “W,” indicating that you registered for the course but withdrew.

"W's" and satisfactory academic progress

It is important to remember that, according to federal financial aid guidelines, the credits for classes from which you’ve received a “W” are attempted credits and are calculated into your credit completion ratio. Should you fail to complete the required percentage of attempted credits, you could be placed on financial aid probation or suspension. You can read more about credit completion ratios at Satisfactory academic progress standards for financial aid recipients.

"W's" on your transcript

"W's" do not affect your GPA, and a limited number of "W's" on your transcript should not be viewed as negative in relation to your entire academic career. However, if your transcript displays multiple "W's" — in particular, for repeated withdrawals from a single course — it may raise concern with potential employers, graduate schools, and professional schools.

Independent study

Most colleges permit independent (or “directed”) study (IND sections) in their regular courses. Through IND registration, you can complete a course by studying independently under the instructor's guidance without attending class. This type of registration requires instructor and department approval. 

Auditing courses

Most faculty permit auditing in their courses. However, if a course is only set up for an A-F grading basis, then it can’t be audited. As an auditor, you enroll in, pay tuition and fees for, and attend classes but do not complete assignments or take examinations. You receive no credit for the class, but the class will be placed on your transcript with the symbol “V” (visitor) to indicate your special registration status. For further information, check with your academic advisor.

Full-time status

The University determines your enrollment status based on how many credits you take each semester. The information below can help you determine if you are full-, part-, or half-time.

Student status credit requirements

For degree-seeking undergraduate students:

  • Full-time is 12+ credits
  • 3/4 time is 9-11 credits
  • 1/2 time is 6-8 credits
  • Less than 1/2 time is 1-5 credits

Important Dates


Mon, Aug 29, 2022 First Day of Classes
Mon, Dec 12, 2022 Last Day of Classes
Tue, Dec 13, 2022 Final Exams


Mon, Sep 12, 2022 Last Day to Add a Class
Mon, Nov 7, 2022 Registration Appointments Begin
Thu, Nov 24, 2022 Open Registration Begins