Grants and waivers
Grants and waivers are gift aid that does not need to be repaid. Awards are based on your financial need (as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)), any eligibility criteria specific to the source, and availability of funds.
When you complete the FAFSA and are admitted to the University of Minnesota, you will be considered for the following federal, state, and University grants.
Grants and waivers that you must apply to
There are several grants and waivers that require you to submit an application or take some other action. Information on some common grants and waivers is available below.
- Berland Opportunity Grant (for adult students who have been out of school at least 3 years)
- Dislocated Worker Programs
- The Dream Fund (to support certain immigrant students with modest grants for emergencies)
- Education vouchers for former youth in care (Minnesota residents who were older children in foster care)
- Employer tuition benefits (Check with your employer. If your employer offers employee tuition benefits, contact Third party billing if your employer will pay.)
- Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs Surviving Spouse/Dependent Education Benefit
- Minnesota Postsecondary Child Care Grant
- Minnesota Veterans' Dependents Assistance Program (children of POW/MIA)
- National Guard education funds
- Public Safety Officer's Survivor Grant
- Regents Scholarship (For University employees)
- ROTC benefits
- Veterans education benefits
- Wards of the state (contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships for more information)
Tuition waivers may be available to students as part of a scholarship, fellowship, departmental or institutional assistance, outside agency, or University of Minnesota Regents Scholarship for employees. Tuition waivers, regardless of their source, are considered a form of financial aid which may reduce eligibility for student loans.
- Blind and deaf student tuition waivers (forms here)
|Wed, May 30, 2018||Financial Aid Applies toward account charges|
|Thu, Jun 7, 2018||Financial Aid Refunds sent|
|Thu, Aug 16, 2018||Financial Aid Applies toward account charges|